Aberporth Holiday Cottage | Thalatta | Cardigan Bay | Wales
The Aberporth Holiday Cottage Thalatta is a wooden chalet style bungalow standing in the centre of the village, 100 metres from one of Aberporth’s two Blue Flag beaches, midway between the pub (three minutes’ walk) and the shops (five minutes’ walk).
The accommodation consists of a living room, a conservatory that overlooks the beach, two bedrooms (one double bed, two single beds), a bathroom with shower over the bath, kitchen and back porch. There is a garden in front of the cottage and a small, secluded terrace to the rear of the property. There is sufficient parking space for two cars.
- • Wood burner
- • TV and DVD
- • Hi-fi with Bluetooth facility
- • Wi-fi
- • Ceramic hob, grill and electric oven
- • Fridge freezer
- • Microwave
- • Dishwasher
- • Coffee machine
- • Powerful (mains pressure) shower
- • Washing machine
The beaches are the main attraction, but there are also various aquatic activities on the Teifi estuary and plenty of scenic walks in the area – the Ceredigion Coastal Path passes within 50m of the cottage. For rainy days, there are plenty of books (adults and children’s) as well as a wide selection of board games and jigsaw puzzles.
We politely request guests to leave the cottage clean and tidy before departing.
Please note that we have a strict no smoking policy inside the cottage.
Sorry, but we currently do not allow pets.
“Aberporth bustles with activity in the summer. It has the advantage of two sandy sheltered beaches with rock pools exposed at low tide making it ideal for family holidays. There is a small car park above the south section of the beach. Further parking can be found in the village. Swimming is considered safe here and during the school holidays – from mid July to the end of August – Ceredigion Beach Officer Lifeguard Service normally establishes patrolled bathing areas daily.” Read more
We thought Thalatta was absolutely lovely and both decided we would quite like to live there. We spent a lot of time just gazing out of the window and our meals did seem to take rather a long time.
What a gem. Normally, when you look forward to something, it never quite lives up to expectations. For once we can truly say it was better!
An absolutely beautiful place! In fact, we don’t want to go home. It has been fantastic to wake up and watch the waves on the beach.
An absolutely lovely place with every comfort……..It has been pure joy to spend a few days in this beautiful seaside village.
The vista is addictive, the cottage simple, homely and equipped for just about every need.
Thank you so much for such a comfortable stay in the cottage. You’ve been so generous with the home comforts and what a lot of books!
Local views gallery
Aberporth Holiday Cottage | Thalatta
Things to Do
• 18 hole golf course with views over the Teifi estuary. (6 miles)
• Fishing either off the beach, the rocks (1/2 mile) or on the river Teifi – for which a licence is required (5 miles).
• Building sand castles, investigating rock pools etc
• Cardigan Sailing club welcomes visitors (7 miles)
• Organised fishing trips, seal spotting, etc (8 miles)
• Kayaking on the river Teifi (8 miles)
• Dry ski slope near Llangrannog (12 miles)
• Pitch and putt at the Penralt Hotel, also a small indoor pool, (1/2 mile)
• Walking the West Wales Coastal Path (1 mile)
• Children’s playground ( in the village, opposite the chemist).
• Mwyldan theatre and cinema (in Cardigan, 6 miles )
Places to Visit*
• Ruins of Cilgerran Castle (9.5 miles)
• Remains of castle at Newcastle Emlyn + children’s playground (9 miles)
• The Wildlife Centre, near Cilgerran (10 miles)
• Llanaerchon House + teas, inland from Aberaeron (19 miles)
• Aberaeron harbour + lunch at the Hive on the Quay (18 miles)
• Cenarth falls – picturesque, walk beside the river, tea rooms (8 miles)
• Poppit sands at low tide (10 miles)
• Costal path to Tresaith – disabled access, so surfaced for the first half mile. (Starts 1/2 mile)
• Costal path towards Mwnt – can be muddy! (Starts behind the RAE playing field, in Parcllyn (1 mile)
• Board walks starting from the old railway yard, almost under the bridge on the Cardigan bypass) (6 miles)- reasonable in wet weather
• Riverside walk through the gorge from Cilgerran towards Llechryd (10 miles) – reasonable but with odd muddy patches
• Preselli Hills (16 miles)
• Pembrokeshire Coastal Path starts near Poppit sands (11 miles)
* approximate distance from the cottage.
Aberporth Holiday Cottage | Thalatta
Birds of the Aberporth area
- Cardigan Bay’s valuable habitats support a rich variety of birds that can be seen from the costal paths and beaches in the area. Offshore birds include gannets, shearwaters and petrels, cliff nesting auks and gulls can also be seen during the breeding season, including the rare chough at specific locations.
- The cottage’s garden with adjacent stream and woodland, are full of resident and summer visiting species during the changing seasons. Sparrow Hawks and Red Kites are on the ‘local’ list. Even the Common Scoter has been have been spotted in the bay from the conservatory window.
- Eight miles from the cottage are the internationally important mud flats and salt marshes of the Teifi Estuary. Thousands of waders use these areas during migration and large numbers overwinter here.
- The Teifi marshes’ nature reserve, one of the largest such areas in the country, has had many rare and unusual species during recent years – including hobby, osprey, egrets and some rare gulls.
- More information on the birds of the area here.